Thursday, June 5, 2014

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Book Title: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer

Publish Date: January 3, 2012

Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fairy Tale Retelling













Plot (from Goodreads):  

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Why I Read this Book: I have been wanting to read this book FOREVER, so I picked it up at my library.
 

Review 

Wow!  This book is fantastic!  It does not stick much to the original Cinderella story, but it does not disappoint!  This mix of fairy tale and science fiction is perfect.  Full of action and intense plot shifts, this book leaves you intrigued and wanting more.  I do not want to spoil the intense action, so I will just leave it at this.

This book is incredibly unique and I cannot wait to find out what happens in the rest of the series.  I already have the second book in the series on hold.

There are only a few negative points about this book.  Firstly, the first 100 pages or so of the book were slow, filled with world and character building.  It was interesting, but difficult to get through.  The last 200+ pages were intense and I would give it a 5.5/5!  Secondly, part of the plot was easily predictable and it was frustrating that the main character did not realize it.  For more on this, check out my Goodreads review where I use the spoiler tag to discuss this more in depth.

 

Final Statements


Recommended Reading Age: 13+ for intense action scenes


Overall Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment