Thursday, July 11, 2013

Calico Joe

I read Calico Joe a few weeks ago (before I started this blog).  It is a good book and I think that it is worth writing a review about it.  I cannot remember all the details about the book (I have read so many since then), but it left a good impression on me.  It is definitely a book worth reading.

General Analysis

Book Title: Calico Joe

Author:John Grisham

Publish Date: April 10, 2012

Genre: Adult Fiction, Sports, Historical Fiction

Plot:  The story takes place both in the present and the past.  The summer of 1973 to be exact.  Joe Castle was the best baseball rookie to ever play and Paul Tracey, son of Warren Tracy, was a big fan.  Warren Tracey, also a major league baseball player, did not like his son idolizing any baseball player but him.  The events of the present were greatly influenced by what happened on the baseball field in the summer of 1973. What exactly happened that summer?  Read Calico Joe and find out!

Why I Read this Book: I have read several of John Grisham's books and enjoyed them.

Overall Thoughts: I liked this book, but not at first.  It was confusing in the beginning, but a great story nonetheless.

In Depth Analysis

Characters:  By the end of the story, I really sympathized and enjoyed the characters.

Writing Style: I did not enjoy the writing style at first; it was very boring.  By the end of the novel, I realized why Grisham had written it like he had.  It was not one of his best works.

Likes:  I enjoyed the plot and the characters, but only after the first half of the book.

Dislikes:  The book was very slow at first.

Final Statements

Recommended Reading Age: This book is appropriate for any age, but I believe that adults would enjoy the writing style the most.

Overall Rating: 4/5

Future Reviews and Reads

I finally finished Come Thirsty by Max Lucado.  It is an amazing book and I cannot wait to get the review posted for that book.  Until then, you can check out the short review that I have on GoodReads here.

Right now I have my nose in both The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey and The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen.  The Fifth Wave is not the typical book that I read. I usually do not find alien based scifi books or "last humans on earth" kind of books very interesting, but this one seems promising.  The Moon and More seems to be a lot more in depth than That Summer and seems to have more of a plot.  I am enjoying it a lot more than That Summer.  I am also continuing to read Everyday Deserves a Chance by Max Lucado and it continues to be amazing!

Want to keep up with the books I am currently reading?  Check out the widget on the side of my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment