Monday, October 13, 2014

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is a discussion post about Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which contains SPOILERS.  If you would like to read my spoiler free review, please follow this link.

The last time that I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone from start to finish was probably in third grade (about 13 years ago, right after this first movie came out).  Since then, I have read segments of the book several times. I love the puzzles and the final scene with Dumbledore, so I have read those scenes numerous times.  Does anyone else do this with books that you love? I enjoy re-reading my favorite scenes without going back and re-reading the whole book.

Upon re-reading the first book, there was one thing that I really noticed.  I had always thought of the Harry Potter series as more of a young adult series rather than a middle grade series because of the dark themes in the last few books, but when I was reading the first book again I realized that the writing style towards the beginning of the series is definitely more like a middle grade book.  This is when I realized an amazing thing that J.K. Rowling has done with the Harry Potter series, whether intentional or unintentional I am not sure.  The Harry Potter series was not only a series that many people grew up with, but the series grows with its audience too.  The writing style starts off as more of a middle grade series and then progresses to a young adult series.  The last two books may even be compared to an adult fantasy series.  ( I will have to analyze this further after I have re-read the whole series.   It has been about 7ish years since I read the 7th book).  Has anyone else noticed this too?  What are your thoughts about this?

Another amazing aspect of this series is the characters.  They are so well developed.  My favorite characters for this book would have to be Hagrid and Dumbledore.  Hagrid has always been one of my favorites because of his jolly attitude and his love for others.  He will stand up for those that he cares about (for instance when the Hagrid finds out that Harry does not know anything about the wizarding world).  Dumbledore's intelligence and wisdom have always put him at the top of my list of favorite characters.  As I said before, I love the scene at the end of the first book with Dumbledore after Harry wakes up in the hospital wing at Hogwarts.

I am going to end this post with a few of my favorite quotes from book 1 (taken from Goodreads).  What are some of your favorite quotes?  What is your favorite part of this series? Please comment with your thoughts below.


Dumbledore: “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry: "And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?”
Ron: “Throw it away and punch him on the nose.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Dumbledore: “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
― J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  


“No thanks,’ said Harry. ‘The poor toilet’s never had anything as horrible as your head down it – it might be sick.’ Then he ran, before Dudley could work out what he’d said.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  


Dumbledore: “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the
Philosopher's Stone 

Dumbledore: “What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally the whole school knows.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone  


No comments:

Post a Comment