Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Children's Book Review Tuesdays: Spiderwick Chronicles (Books 1 and 2)

Title: The Field Guide (Book 1) and The Seeing Stone (Book 2)

Series: The Spiderwick Chronicles


Authors: Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black

Publish Date: May 1, 2003

Genre: Children's Novels, Fantasy

Why I Read this Book: I re-read this book during Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon.


 

 

 

 

 About Book 1 (from Goodreads):  



When the three Grace children -- Mallory, Jared, and Simon -- and their mom move into Aunt Lucinda's old house, readers know there's magic afoot. The kids uncover a nest of assembled junk, and on a visit to the secret library via the dumbwaiter, Jared finds a note describing "my secret to all mankind." After a few mysterious pranks that get blamed on Jared, the boy finally digs up the real prize: Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You. Fortunately enough, the kids meet one of the critters listed in the guide -- a brownie named Thimbletack -- who makes it all "real" and helps provide the book's suspenseful conclusion: "'Throw the book away, toss it in a fire. If you do not heed, you will draw their ire.'"

Review


I first read this series when I was younger. I remember loving these books, but I could not remember why I loved them. After re-reading the first and second books during the Dewey's 24 Hour readathon, I fell in love with the books all over again.

The first book started to hold my attention after about page 30.  Each book is very fast paced and leaves you wanting more. The writing style reminds me of Lemony Snicket, who I also love. 

These books would be a great read for children who want to start reading chapter books. The language is great for a child; simple but enthralling. The plot is engaging. The series became even better in book 2 of the series. I hope to continue re-reading the whole series.

Final Statements


Recommended Reading Age: Any

Overall Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment