Monday, October 6, 2014

Book Review (NO SPOILERS): Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

This is my spoiler free review of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.  If you would like to see my discussion post (with spoilers), please follow this link (coming next week).


Book Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Author: J.K. Rowling

Publish Date: June 30, 1997

Genre: Middle Grade Urban Fantasy












Plot (from Goodreads):  

When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him that apparently he's the last to know. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Leaving his unsympathetic aunt and uncle for Hogwarts, a wizarding school brimming with ghosts and enchantments, Harry stumbles upon a sinister adventure when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers which could be valuable, dangerous, or both.



Why I Read this Book: I am re-reading this whole series this year.
 

Review


Oh man!  I love this series!  I just re-read this book and I am so glad that I did.  J.K. Rowling has one of the most entertaining writing styles that I have ever come upon.  She adds humor and serious topics to a epic adventure story.  She takes a simple story and makes it into something epic.  I love all of the characters and I love the wisdom that Dumbledore gives.  This book introduced me to fantasy novels and this has been my favorite genre since then.

 

Final Statements



Recommended Reading Age: Any


Overall Rating: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment