Saturday, June 7, 2014

Book Review: Eyes Wide Open by Ted Dekker (Outlaw Series #1)

Book Title: Eyes Wide Open

Author: Ted Dekker

Publish Date: Febuary 4, 2013

Genre: Christian Adult Thriller













Plot (from Goodreads):  

Who am I?

My name is Christy Snow. I’m seventeen and I’m about to die. I’m buried in a coffin under tons of concrete. No one knows where I am. My heart sounds like a monster with clobber feet, running straight toward me. I’m lying on my back, soaked with sweat from the hair on my head to the soles of my feet. My hands and feet won’t stop shaking.

Some will say that I’m not really here. Some will say I’m delusional. Some will say that I don’t even exist. But who are they? I’m the one buried in a grave.

My name is Christy Snow. I’m seventeen. I’m about to die.

So who are you?

In a return to the kind of storytelling that made Showdown and Three unforgettable, Ted Dekker drags that question into the light with this modern day parable about how we see ourselves.

Humming with intensity and blindsided twists, Eyes Wide Open is raw adrenaline from the first page to the last pure escapism packed with inescapable truth. Not all is as it seems. Or is it? Strap yourself in for the ride of your life. Literally.


Why I Read this Book: I have wanted to read this book for a while now.   I have love all of the books that I have read by Ted Dekker.  I picked this one up now because I have received the second book in this series for review from Netgalley and I wanted to read the first book before I started that book.  I checked out this book from my local library.
 

Review 

This book was a wild rollar coaster ride.  I loved parts of it and I was really bored in other parts.  I usually do not read thriller books, but I have been wanting to read some of Ted Dekker's adult thriller books.  Ted Dekker is overtly Christian and his believes are often seen in his books.  I was not sure how this would come out in a thriller, but I am so glad that I read this book.

The first half of the book was really slow paced and not much action occurred.  The thing that got me to continue reading was some advice that I have seen recently in a Booktube video (book review and discussion on Youtube).  This video suggested that when you are not really enjoying a book but really want to finish it to go look up 5 star reviews about the book.  I did this and saw that there was a Christian message at the end of the book.  This encouraged me to stick with it and I am so glad that I did.

As a thriller book, half the ride is reading the book for yourself and finding out what happens.  As such, I cannot tell you too much about this book.  It is better to go into it blind.  I really enjoyed the Christian message behind the book.  It was really inspirational.  If you have read this book, I would love to talk about that with you!

Although it was quite frustrating at times, I also really enjoyed the suspense of finding out what in the world was going on in the book.  It was really confusing at times, but once you read the ending you begin to appreciate the suspense.

I would suggest this to anyone who loves Christian thrillers and who love suspense.  Some scenes in the book were a little gory, so I do not recommend this book to anyone who has a weak stomach.
 
 

Final Statements


Recommended Reading Age: 13+ for intense action scene and some gore


Overall Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment