Thursday, June 12, 2014

Book Review: Ice Dogs by Terry Lynn Johnson

Book Title: Ice Dogs

Author: Terry Lynn Johnson

Publish Date: February 4, 2014

Genre: Young Adult, Survival













Plot (from Goodreads):  

Victoria Secord, a 14-year-old Alaskan dogsled racer, loses her way on a routine outing with her dogs. With food gone and temperatures dropping, her survival, and that of her dogs and the mysterious boy she meets in the woods, is entirely up to her.

Author Terry Lynn Johnson is a musher herself and her crackling writing puts readers at the reins as Victoria and Chris experience setbacks, mistakes, and small triumphs in their wilderness adventure.


Why I Read this Book: I saw this book in the new release section of my library and I thought it looked really interesting.  I have been interested in reading realistic survival stories lately.
 

Review 

This is a great survival story!  The author owns her own sled dog team, so this story seems really accurate to real life situations.  The adventure and the risk of surviving seemed real and kept me reading.  I needed to know what happened to Vicky and if they survived.

I feel in love not only with the human characters in this book, but also with the sled dogs.  I loved the writing style.  This book is marketed as a Children's Fiction novel, but it is written with elevated language and I feel it is more suited to a Young Adult audience.

I think this book would be great for fans of the Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen.  Although I have not read this book in a really long time, Ice Dogs reminds me of this novel.

 

Final Statements


Recommended Reading Age: 16+ for some sexual inuendos


Overall Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment