Monday, June 9, 2014

Book Review: The Summer I Became a Nerd

Book Title: The Summer I Became a Nerd

Author: Leah Rae Miller

Publish Date: May 7, 2013

Genre: Young Adult Contemporary













Plot (from Goodreads):  

On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.


Why I Read this Book: I read this book last summer.  I checked it out from my local library.
 

Review


I read this book last summer, so I do not really remember all of the details, but it has left a lasting impression on me.  I like reading some  clean contemporary novels, but a lot of them seem too girly for my tomboy self.  This book was perfect.  It was filled with all the typical YA contemporary romance, but it also has an extremely nerdy aspect that I could relate to.  In short, this was an amazing book. The characters are so well developed and it is not the typical cliche teenage love novel. I loved all the characters, especially Logan. I believe this is a good novel both for nerds and non-nerds alike.

 

Final Statements



Recommended Reading Age: Any Age (clean from my memory)


Overall Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment